Old 05-26-09, 08:03 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
This never happened to me before

I was on a 65 mile ride on Sunday with the temperature in the low 80's. Saturday I had done a 36 mile ride in the high 80's. Saturday was no problem. I had two bottles with me and ate and hydrated after the ride. Sunday, I had oatmeal and drank water before the ride. I brought my Camelbak and used electrolyte tablets along with a bottle of plain water. We stopped after every 15 miles or so. I was riding fine but at the second (32 mile) stop, I felt dizzy when we stopped. I felt fine while pedaling but dizzy when stopped. I ate something and took two glucose tablets and after a half hour I felt a little better. I figured that I'd take it slow and stop if the problem worsened but once on the bike again I was fine. At the 50 mile stop I felt dizzy again, took two more glucose tablets, and then felt better when we restarted. At the end of the ride the dizziness returned.

I am diabetic but I've never had a hypo or hyperglycemic problem before. Last year I rode BRAG in upper 90's and low 100's heat without a problem. The glucose tablets were just a precaution (four years old) and I'd never even opened the package before.

I can understand bonking while exerting myself but not when the exertion stops. Anyone have any ideas as to what happened or how to prevent a reoccurence?