View Single Post
Old 05-28-09, 06:03 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ok_commuter
I'd hoped we'd get a Charles Ives reference in this thread, but I had no idea it would be so roundabout. What are you, a music teacher?

EDIT: OK, that was a bit obtuse. I'm a John Adams fan (did I really just say that?) and once played Harmonium as part of a symphony orchestera, though I can't remember if we did the whole piece or some movements. Yup, pretty surprised I'm talking about this on BF...
I know someone from Austin that fits this musical description, but I don't think that he rides a bike. (It isn't you, is it, Jerry?)

A long time ago I heard "Harmonielehre" performed by the Jacksonville SO in Gainesville, FL. It was one of the greatest performances I have ever heard anywhere by any group. You could see the musicians on the stage getting more and more excited as the piece progressed because what they knew they were part of something very special. To my amazement the entire crowd rose to their feet with thunderous applause at the end. Usually that crowd would complain about anything written after 1900.