Square & Compas
Banned.

Bikes: Vision R40 Recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EatMyA**
You guys know any organizations to call off hand? should I call anyone? I am from southern california. on the LA county area. Next to Pasadena.

backstory: Driving on a 4 lane road with a middle lane for turning
4:20 pm
driving on the right tire track.
got stopped by (you guessed it) the sheriff department. Apparenty someone called 911 and complained that there was 2 bicycles on the "traffic lane".
Got a ticket for "impeding the flow of traffic". There was no cars around us even.
Told me that I cant ride on the road. that I was a danger and hazzard. Then they changed their story and told me to ride in the gutter (yesin the gutter) "as far to the right as possible". Not practical. possible. I asked if they were sure about that and they got pissed.

guys tried REAL hard to get me on something. They became VERY upset that this was all they could suggest charging me and my friend with.

funny enough when I was in one of the three squad cars that showed up I saw a guy towing a homemade3 trailer on his bicycle driving on the sidewalk against traffic. I said "what about that guy?" and they told me "nobodys complained about him yet". Lolers.

alright guys thats my story for today. Anyone have any suggestions or questions?
In answer to your questions here is what I would do;
1. Digitally scan the citation.
2. Look up the traffic code for this particular circumstance, violation, etc. You need to find out what your allowed to do under the law. Especially if you think the cops were in the wrong. Make sure you're clear on this. You do not want to challenge this with out being armed with all the facts.
3. Once you have all the info. you need post about it on a blog. Get the word out on the internet about this injustice toward yourself and cyclists in general. Plaster it on every internet site you can think of. Facebook, blogger, MySpace, forums like this one, etc. Get the word out.
4. Depending on what your options and rights are to challenge this you may need an attorney. If you think you can and are allowed to fight this in court on your own do so. But go in armed with a copy of the law that says what you're allowed to do while riding on the roadways. Otherwise get the help of an attorney if you can afford one. There may even be free or discounted attorney services in your area that can help you.
5. contact your local and state bicycle advocacy organizations. Also contact the LAB about this.
6. Fight it, legally and through proper channels until you win.