View Single Post
Old 05-29-09, 04:12 PM
Mike Mills

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
kevinsubaru, I cannot see your photos while here at work, but I will check back later.

When I was in high school, I lived in New York City. My father would drive us north and across the Hudson River and drop off two of us at Nyack. We would head north along Hwy 9W (?), up along the Hudson River, then turn west at Kingston and ride over to Phoenicia. Another left turn just west of Phoenicia would take us to Woodland Valley campground.

This trip was done fully loaded with camping gear. It was a two-day ride each way. We would hang out at Woodland Valley as long as the money lasted (food and camp site fees). Then, we would head back home.

The first time I did this, it was the greatest adventure of my life. It was so much fun I did it several times during my high school years. Once I did it alone. These were my summer vacation trips.

When I was in college, my friends and I would drive up there and camp for an extended weekend. Car camping was fun but was NOTHING compared to the challenge and joy of riding in that beautiful part of the country and the self-satisfaction of making it all the way under my own power.

To this very day, I miss it. It is one of my favorite parts of this great country of ours.