View Single Post
Old 05-29-09, 07:20 PM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ddac
Ok, it's not my bike...
Ok, technically, it's not a road bike either....(it's more of a fast hybrid)

Here's the story:
Friend's bike got stripped while he left it overnight locked up outside after one drunken night. He was too hammered to ride it home, so he did the right thing and took the subway home.

Bike was locked with a Mini U-lock on the top tube (only). He also had a very long Krypto cable (not chain) to lock up his front & rear wheels to the U-lock.

After Happy Hour (1am), he decided to train it home. He looked at his bike and it was doing just fine.....little did he know that that was the last time he'll see his bike fully intact.

Next morning (this morning), he went to get the bike and found everything missing (except for the frame & fork).

Here's a picture of what's left (note: the seat post & stem are mine). I just put them on to hold up the fork in place and to make sure nothing falls into the seat tube. They even took the crappy Sora derailleur!!!! All the cables have been cut as well.

Now, my buddy is pretty pissed off. He asked if I could try to help him put the bike back together for under $150. If not, he's going to sell the frame/fork/brakes for $100 and just give up on riding in the city.

Do you think the $150 budget is reasonable?

Here's a list of everything I think I need to put it back on the road:
- Stem (size depends on handlebars)
- Handlebars
- Grips
- Brake levers
- Shift levers
- Pedals (basic toe clips)
- Tires (cheap 700c x 28) Suggestions??
- Tubes
- Saddle
- Seat post
- Brake cables & shifter cables
- Wheelset (Any suggestions? I want to put something cheaper than CXP22s on it).
- Rear derailleur (I found an old 8 speed Sora in my parts bin that he can have)
- 8 speed cassette
- Chain
- the little "L" thing for the V brakes (you know what I'm talking about, right??? The metal housing by the brake calipers that you run the brake line in. What's the proper name for that?)

Let me if I missed anything.

He wants it to be a low level bike. Nothing high end. Definitely something at or lower than Sora or Deore (to keep it within this budget). Labor will be free as I'm the one who's helping him put everything together and adjust everything.

Sigh....I don't even know where to start gathering stuff. Where can I find handlebars & shift/brake levers?

I want my friend to continue riding. He got the bike brand new in '06. Never rode it. The bike probably had 150 miles up until this year. Recently he started riding it and really enjoyed it. He even gave commuting a shot and decided he was going to do it 2 - 3x a week. After only 3 weeks of commuting (about 700 miles have been put on the bike in the last 3 months), the bike got stripped. Help me out with some tips.

Throw out brands & models for the items I need.

Thanks!
He got robbed. (And not just the old robbin' kind.) I'm really sorry that happened to him.

He might as well buy a new bike. Building it up again will cost about as much.

When he does get that new bike, make sure he gets a real lock (like the OnGuard 4000 Bulldog lock) that's extremely hard to cut through or jimmy open. Costs a lot, but it's definitely worth it.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces