ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by PhillyRoadie
New Bethlehem Crit, 3/4. 2nd place

Arrived super late--first time I've made that mistake, and hopefully the last. Head not in the game, start at the very ass end of the pack. Maybe it was just my perspective, but felt slow and sketchy (24.8 avg. for a flat crit??). I surfed the back because it actually felt safer back there than bumping bars for position with the nuts that would sprint up the side for 13th wheel and then try to force their way into the corners.

With 9 to go, a fellow backmarker helpfully points out that my front wheel is wobbling. Broken spoke, and I have no spare, so I figure I'm done, and everything has been so hectic that I don't even mind. Teammate lends me a wheel, I chase back on. With 5 and 6 to go, two crashes on the same rough, off-camber corner (on consecutive laps laps) take out like 8 guys each time, including a teammate who left in an ambulance with a busted shoulder. First one brought me to a stop, so I'm chasing again. I finally get it in gear with two to go, locate a teammate, and he delivers a beautiful leadout. Couldn't quite close the deal on a downhill sprint, but I'll take it.
2nd place after tailgunning the entire race? Not bad at all!

Are you a 3 or a 4?