Old 05-31-09, 10:54 PM
norwood
GO BIG RED

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi Veloce 1993 Bridgestone MB-3 1992 Trek 700 1992 Trek 820

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My reading comprehension is fine thanks. The OP was asking for insight on how much weight a roadbike might handle and as was pointed out to the OP, the main consideration was likely to be wheels and their construction. All other factors being more or less equal, a wheel with more spokes will be stronger than a wheel with less spokes. And that wheel will be more suitable for a heavier rider. No one is "preaching" that anyone over 200lbs. can only ride a 36 spoke wheel. I'm happy your 20 & 24 spoke wheels are working out for you. But generally speaking, the heavier the rider, the heavier-duty the wheels should be built. For reliable performance. A higher spoke count wheel is more forgiving of an occassional loose spoke, heavier loading and rough riding surface. That's not insanity, it's common sense.
I weigh 225lbs. and ride 32 spoke wheels with no issues but I realize that's as light as I care to go spoke-count wise. Sure I could ride a much lighter built wheel like you, but why should I?