Old 06-01-09, 12:06 PM
unixpro
Laid back bent rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't mind him checking, and I'm not really worried about the treatment. I just decided to do some research while I was idle, and this is one step in that research. Research is never a waste of time.

As far as my weight is concerned, I weigh 225. While I'm willing to consider the possibility that I've got a caloric surplus, it would be a bit surprising to me. According to the calculators, my basal matabolic rate is around 2,050 calories. Add to that some number of calories just for getting out of bed and walking around during the day. Now add in what I expend on my commutes. I use a HRM and it consistently reports between 1,800 and 2,200 calories expended, depending on weather. This isn't far off the "40 cal/mile" rule of thumb (40 * 36 = 1,440 and then add in some for 2,400 feet of climbing). Put all this together and I'm expending somewhere around 4,000 - 4,500 calories/day when I ride, which is 5 days/week, and probably 2,500 cal/day when I don't.

I've tracked my eating with a food diary and I don't consume 4,000 calories/day most days. 3,000 perhaps, but not 4,000. That's a lot of food.

My BP is excellent at 130/70. My resting heart rate is below 50. My cholesterol and other blood chemistry numbers are all well within normal ranges. My A1C and instantaneous blood sugar readings, including the 2-hour check, are all fine. My lung capacity is good, and I can touch my toes.