Old 06-02-09, 12:28 PM
TassR700

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Gary Fisher Tassajara; Motobecane Boris Fatbike; Cannondale Habit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin0cr1
This seems like a good place to ask a question I've been wrestling with for a couple of weeks. I have an FSA Gossamer 30/39/50 crank and a Shimano 12/27 cassette. On the rolling Virginia hills I ride I never use the 30 on the front, but I would like to keep that option for tougher climbs. I am often frustrated, though, by the limitations of the 12/27. No matter what I do I can't seem to get over about 35 mph on the 12. I often feel like I should have another higher gear or two. Is it a big deal to switch to a slightly smaller cassette? I would appreciate advice about what would be a good choice for the cassette and an idea what it might cost to have the job done at the LBS. (Both derailleurs are Shimano.)
Instead of looking for smaller gears on the back, why not put a larger ring on the front? 50/39/30 is not real tall gearing. Most triples go with a 52 or 53 big ring. Swapping out that ring could be less than $50 and it will give you a higher top end.