Old 02-11-05, 10:35 AM
Old Gammy Leg
Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think there is such a thing as "too bright for road use."
You can blind oncoming drivers. That's why cars don't drive around with full beams all the time.

You may change your view of the importance of bright lights if, while riding with your LED, you don't see a pothole, crash, taco your wheel, destroy your derailleur and brake, rip your cycling clothes, nick your frame, and break your collar bone. On the way to the hospital, you can be happy that you saved a couple hunded bucks and a few grams.

I don't know how many times I need to repeat that almost all my night riding (certainly at any significant speed) is done under bright street lighting.

one thing you can do to improve your visability is to wear a reflective vest.
Good suggestion. I have lots of big reflective stickers on my backpack, though that doesn't help with the front...

St John Street cycles was advertising them in Cycling Plus Magazine a few issues ago. They are sold under the name "S-Sun" which is really what they are, Performance and Nashbar just private label them.
Thanks. I might order one... do you think they are far superior to the Cateye EL400? I do like the Cateye, though PMSL at the "50m water resistant" claim! I do a lot of UK deep wreck diving... this light will NOT be coming with me!