Old 06-03-09, 02:35 PM
drafters65

Bikes: 02' Fuji Team, 85' Miyata ninety SS, 18' Citizen Rome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Looks like there's some slight gouging of the taper in that 1st picture. I would clean up both the taper in the crankarm and the spindle with acetone and remove all traces of dirt & grease. Then apply a drop of oil to each side of the spindle and install the crankarm. Use a new bolt with blue Loctite and a star lockwasher. Tighten it to 35 lb*ft (47 Nm) with a torque-wrench and see if it'll hold. At this point, you've got nothing to lose really.

BTW - hold onto the other crankarm when using the torque-wrench...

+1. Might be worth replacing the bolt (or nut depending on the spindle) before giving up on the crank arm. Problem could be a defective bolt/nut that keeps working itself loose rather than damage to arm itself. That said, the problem may have started as one with the bolt/nut but that problem could very well have resulted in irreparable damage to the arm itself. Still, replacing the nut to see if a new one oholds seems like the way to go.
I replaced the nut the first time it fell off since i didn't know when it fell but i will definitely try the methods mentioned. I'll let you know guys know how it turns out. Thank for all the help guys.