View Single Post
Old 06-04-09, 02:10 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
If you've got a PX-10 then you've got a very nice classic bike. These were Peugeot's top of the line models for many years. They are often misidentified though. Some of the bikes Peugeot sold used Reynolds 531 for the main triangle but not the other tubes. These aren't PX-10s (though not bad bikes).

Check the current tire for the size. I think there were some variations of the PX-10 that used clinchers instead of tubulars (sew-ups). The PX-10 was sold in one form or another through the 80s so if you're lucky maybe you've got 700c clincher rims on there. If you do have tubulars, you'll probably want different wheels, but keep the originals.

Oh, the difference between tubulars and clinchers is that with tubulars the tubes are encased in the tire and glued to the rim (not permanently). They aren't the greatest for commuting because repairing a flat on the road gets a little complicated.
+1 on the above. You often find PXs with clinchers, and some Peugeot cats from the period list them a UX10s. I've a 72 with what appear to be stock 27" rims.

If you've got 27s and are commuting, I will strongly recommend the Panaracer Pasella TG model. Very good tire with flat protection; about as good as you'll get for a commuter/urban tire.

If you've got tubulars, I would switch them out in an urban environment. I've got three bikes currently running tubulars-- A Masi 3V, a 1967 Peugeot PX10, and a 1971 Schwinn Paramount, and none of them get ridden in downtown Richmond ever.

PXs are one of the most often mis-identified vintage bikes. Well, actually other models are routinely identified as PXs. Look for 531 sticker (could very well be gone), half chromed rear stays, Simplex dropouts. Or just post a picture over on classic and vintage.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!