View Single Post
Old 06-05-09, 11:02 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
Just another old Raleigh 3-speed

Well, not quite. First, it weighs in at a shade under 26 lbs complete. And that shade of green isn't Raleigh Sports green, it's Lenton green (or "polychromatic olive green"). After years of looking, I finally found one of my holy grails: a Raleigh Lenton Tourist. These were made for only two years, 1950-51, and were Raleigh's somewhat unsuccessful attempt at a lightweight (Reynolds 531 tubing), upright-bar tourist bike. The frameset came from eBay auction, and the rest of the bits came off of some other projects and the parts bin. The frame was designed for EA1/26 x 1 1/4"/597mm wheels, but I've fitted it with 700c wheels, 28mm Pasela tires, and black Bluemels fenders with ample room. It might still get a set of EA1 wheels though tire options are severely limited in that size. The rear hub is an alloy AM shell with AW innards. Those dark anodized rims are surely an anachronism, so if I stay with 700c, I'll need to build a different set of wheels. It's got a cotter issue on the drive side that I have to deal with and will soon get fitted with an alloy chainguard. In the meantime:

From the 1950 catalog:

Another catalog description:

More pics here.

Neal

Last edited by nlerner; 06-05-09 at 11:08 AM.