View Single Post
Old 06-05-09, 01:46 PM
Phiberglass

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan
If you've never tried it, no one will be able to explain it to you in words. There is a certain "one-ness" with the bike [often referred to as the "Zen of Fixed Gear"] since you control both the acceleration and braking with your legs the bike feels like a prosthesis or an extension of your body much more than a traditional freewheeling bicycle. They are also great fitness training tools. You have no idea how much you coast until you hop on a bike where you can't anymore. A few weeks riding fixed and you'll have legs like tree trunks!

As I said before- I think all cyclists should at least try riding a fixed gear bike sometime. I know it won't be everyone's cup-of-tea but I think the association with urban youth riding brakeless track bikes like maniacs on the streets have tarnished the reputation of a very fun type of cycling that is done by a diverse group of people.

A few other benefits:
• FG bikes are inexpensive since they don't have shifters, derailleurs, and cassettes (the most expensive components of traditional bikes).
• FG bikes are simple to build and maintain, other than chain oil and tension and some air in the tires there is almost nothing to tweak or adjust on a regular basis.
• FG bikes are incredible training tools for building muscle and endurance. Lance rides one!
• FG bikes (especially "track geometry" frames) offer a much more "exciting" ride becasue you really feel the direct power transfer. They make "the same old ride" that grew boring on a traditional bike seem new and fun again. [At least this was my experience with them]
He got everything on the dot. I ride my fixed gear mainly for around town and cities for a quick commute or travel and sometimes for training. It's a completely different feels and lots of fun. It's also fun to do backwards circles, keo spins, wheelies, etc once you feel comfortable with the drive train and riding backwards, etc. Everyone should get saddle time on one sometime in their life.