View Single Post
Old 06-08-09, 06:27 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
For me, this discussion is relevant mostly apropos my commuter bike(s). My main commuter is presently a Downtube Mini, which is an all aluminum folding bike, made in China, 16" wheels, Sturmey Archer 8-speed hub. It weighs 25 lbs. I ride it about 16 miles every day, in both sub-rural NJ and heavy Manhattan traffic, and cannot avoid every bump. In other words, I pound the **** out of it on a near daily basis. I'm on my second frame; the first one cracked after about 5000 miles.

I have a second folding bike that's a very cheap one, with a steel frame and a lot of other steel as well. It weighs 40 lbs, and I use it when the Downtube is disabled for whatever reason. It's main disadvantage is it has a Shimano Nexus 4 speed hub, which is a lot less fun to ride than the SA. But it is in many ways more comfortable, which I cannot really explain.

The weight of the bike makes very little difference when riding. But it makes a big difference when I fold the bike up and lift it up over my head and put it on the luggage rack of the NJTransit commuter train (every morning and every afternoon).

I admit I have more faith in the steel frame than in the aluminum, but it hardly matters; I have a lot of aluminum components on all of my bikes, many of which could cause catastrophic crash in the event of failure (handlebar, stem, etc). Evem so, I would definitely be interested in a chrome-moly or 531 framed folding bike... but sadly they do not exist.