Old 06-08-09, 10:35 AM
shmulb

Bikes: Jamis Satellite; Ellsworth Scant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First wreck

Last Tuesday my wife and I were riding home from work. There were thunderstorms in the area and we were trying to stay ahead of them. At about the 10 mile mark (with 4 to go) we were in an area that must have had a downpour a few minutes before we got there. The roads were little rivers. Our last set of railway tracks crosses the road at a steep angle. My wife was in front and hit them at about 13-14 mph. Her bike just slid out from under her and she went down, I swerved to avoid her and went down landing on her bike. We pulled ourselves and bike off the road and looked for damage. Fortunately neither of us seemed too badly hurt, although her hip seemed swollen and her elbow was bleeding. While we were cleaning up a cop came by (a bystander thought a car had hit us and called 911). We had straightened her handle bars and the bikes seemed OK. We refused an ambulance and rode the rest of the way home (with a 3 mile uphill).Adrenalin can do wonders for your hill climbs.
Once we got home my wife looked at her side and had a massive hematoma on her hip. A few hours later she decided we better go to the hospital andf have it checked out. X-Rays showed no bone damage, just bad bruising.
I had our LBS check out our bikes and aside from bar tape on hers and some minor tweaking there was no damage.
She is still badly bruised and cannot ride yet. She went to the gym to do some weights today.
I have only a small bruise on my arm and have ridden a few times since.
Moral of the story, believe it when they say that wet roads and railway tracks are dangerous. and when the cop offers to call an ambulance, dont let the adrenaline do the talking.