View Single Post
Old 06-09-09, 10:48 AM
canonizer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tolfan
Curious. If the bike was striped there and then the owner decided to abandon why didnt thay at least take the $$$ locks. If it was stolen then striped than why the locks? If you are going to take the bike why not go all the way and claim the money that crypto offers if a lock is defeated. Would you feel comfortable taking the bike in broad daylight with lots of people around? I started to rescua a bike that was cheap locked and rusting away for about 10 months but than I found myself out there with bolt cutters at 3 AM and that just felt too much like stealing to me. Likely the rightful owner has long since lost any interest in maintaining ownership .
I would do this in broad daylight and even potentially hope that the owner came out. If he said it was his, all he would be out is one link on his chain and maybe he'd come take my money or some such. My only problem would be he'd need to prove it was his by unlocking it, not just a profiteering neighbor.

I'm not sure how easy it is to get krypto to pay out on the insurance. how many people register their serial numbers?

Regardless, I'm planning on giving the note a week or two to work its magic, and then i guess the next step should be to speak to the police.