cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
...These groups just ride, no pace line is ever maintained. These slower groups have allowed me to rack-up the miles without overtraining, but I've been hoping to find a faster crowd.
Well, I found a faster crowd.
...We had a strong cross wind, I should have followed to the left of the riders in front of me. But I was reluctant to ride near the center line, so I sat in the wind for a few miles at around 22 mph.

This was this clubs "A" group, their "B" group meets on Monday. I'll be there next week.
Michael
from another perspective
chicago area not being very rural, and even many rural areas have enough traffic to not warrant spreading across to the yellow.
I'd say this group needs to rethink their ride method.
Yes, crosswinds are tough
But echeloning across the entire traffic lane is a sure formula for trouble.
A good group can still ride a very tight 3across and not block the lane. that's about as far as I'd go...
IF a heavy crosswind develops on a section usually reserved for a hard jam, well then the roadies need to re-insert 'brain' and not just do the 'sheeple' thing.
Having to hang out for a few miles AND having the roadway completely blocked for that long is typical roadie mentality and is what gives us all a bad name with non-riders.
just sayin.

Our Sunday Bathhouse 'Worlds' is generally a free-for-all hammerfest of anywhere from 30 to 50 riders and yet we still somehow seem able to keep the traffic lane open enough to allow passing when we're moving easy. Even so, there are times when we just do really dangerous things. I've learned to pull out when things get really sketchy, and feel good about it.
I mean, unless you're getting big bucks for sacrificing your hide on a ride, I'd sooner just keep my skin, thank you.
Goin fast is fun, and on a closed course, great. Otherwise I ride to live another day.