Old 06-11-09, 12:38 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
from another perspective
chicago area not being very rural, and even many rural areas have enough traffic to not warrant spreading across to the yellow.
I'd say this group needs to rethink their ride method.
Yes, crosswinds are tough
But echeloning across the entire traffic lane is a sure formula for trouble.
A good group can still ride a very tight 3across and not block the lane. that's about as far as I'd go...
IF a heavy crosswind develops on a section usually reserved for a hard jam, well then the roadies need to re-insert 'brain' and not just do the 'sheeple' thing.
Having to hang out for a few miles AND having the roadway completely blocked for that long is typical roadie mentality and is what gives us all a bad name with non-riders.
just sayin.

Our Sunday Bathhouse 'Worlds' is generally a free-for-all hammerfest of anywhere from 30 to 50 riders and yet we still somehow seem able to keep the traffic lane open enough to allow passing when we're moving easy. Even so, there are times when we just do really dangerous things. I've learned to pull out when things get really sketchy, and feel good about it.
I mean, unless you're getting big bucks for sacrificing your hide on a ride, I'd sooner just keep my skin, thank you.
Goin fast is fun, and on a closed course, great. Otherwise I ride to live another day.
More good advice, I'm glad I dropped out.

Most of the riders were single file or two abreast, but a few were 3 abreast. The riders were staying out of the right 1/3 of the lane due to potholes on the road and to avoid the cross wind coming from the right.

I tried to hang tough on the right. This kept me out of the pace line and after a couple of miles I was toast. I should of just dropped to the end and made the best of that position.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.