View Single Post
Old 02-13-05, 10:57 PM
twowheelnuts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all...this is my very first post - please forgive me if I am covering a noob topic (did a search first!)

Ok...I have a small Giant OCR-1 compact geometry road frame. Love it, the frame is: stiff, responsive, good climber, cost was reasonably cheap (frame only), and did I say stiff? I have some carbon bits to soften the ride but would like a little more relief from road vibration (live in CNY, which = BAD roads). I currently have a full carbon fork and carbon seat post. I am looking to get a new stem, handlebar, and saddle. I was wondering if anyone could provide some advice...

1) STEM: magnesium or carbon or ti ? Which one provides more vibration dampening? Full carbon monocoque (ie, Easton EC90, ITM Uniko, etc) or carbon over alu wrap (ie, supergo, Easton EC70, etc.) - differences?
2) HANDLEBAR: Shallowest drop and shortest reach available in a full carbon drop bar? The shallowest/shortest combo I've found is the Modolo Curvissima KX Carbon (found here) I currently have the Ritchey BioMax II which sports a reach of 75 and drop of 130.
3) SADDLE: Carbon or mag or ti rails? Again, which provides the best virbration dampening? For the most part, have only used ti railed - so no way to compare to others. I like the looong rails of some of the Fizik models and am considering the Aliante or Arione.

I am 5'4" and prefer a short cockpit (was a messenger and still ride like that around town )....so, outside of getting custom parts made, it is quite difficult to find "high-end" carbon bits that satisfy the needs of those who are vertically challenged (ie, <90mm stems, short and shallow bars, etc.)

Please post any suggestions, links, scientific know-how, tests, reviews, etc...Thanks for looking!

Last edited by twowheelnuts; 02-13-05 at 11:10 PM.