View Single Post
Old 06-14-09, 10:30 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you're on a tight budget, I don't think building a bike up from a frame is the cheapest way to go, unless you already have all the components. I built up an LHT from a frame and spent probably 50% more than I would have if the complete had been available at that time. Of course, when I built it I was trying to get a solid, high-quality bike that would last for a decade or two, so I didn't scrimp on quality. Much of what I bought was purchased new. If you're willing to buy used on Ebay you can save quite a bit.

If I was contemplating buying a touring bike with a limited budget I'd look for something used, or buy a Randonee new during the 20% off sale. If I really wanted to spend the least possible I'd buy a rigid mountain bike from the 80's, like a Rockhopper.

Of course, if you already have a bike's worth of parts and are just looking for a frame to put them on, the Nashbar would be hard to beat.