Old 06-15-09, 11:55 PM
KevRC4130

Bikes: Bianchi Trofeo, Fly Pantera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velo Orange Elkhide or Cloth Tape + Shellac ?

Hey guys,
I'm trying to find bartape to match a Brooks Honey saddle. I [think] I have narrowed my options down to two different approaches:

1) Velo-Orange Elkhide Sewn-On bar covers (total cost: $34)
2) Velox Tressostar Cloth Tape + Shellac (total cost $15-20)

While cost is not a huge issue, obviously cheaper is better. My other concern with the Elkhide is that I'm not terribly confident with the installation. I think the stitching seems easy enough, but I do not like the idea of having to cut my own holes for the brake levers. The fact that I'm using Campagnolo brifters with cables-under-the-tape adds to this discomfort.

I've also read some mixed reviews of the Elkhide, and leather tape in general. Will the elkhide twist, or even separate from the stitching?

Truthfully, I think I really want the cloth + shellac. It looks better to me, and is cheaper. I just am worried that the tape will be very hard and slick... I don't ever wear gloves. I'm not 100% sold on the looks of the Elkhide, but I do have a weird fantasy of beautifully worn leather looking like a well-loved baseball glove (does the Elkhide ever actually look like this, or am I being delusional?). The Elkhide is just so pimp and classy.

This is not a bike I'm going to baby. It's going to get wet and abused. Will the Elkhide look better with this abuse, or shabby in just a few months?

Right now, I'm running Cinelli cork tape. I like it quite a lot. If I was going to go the cloth tape route, I think I would keep the current tape on underneith. The cloth would be only for looks. Would I lose much comfort of the cork?

So, considering my circumstances: brifters, gloveless riding, somewhat on a budget, not super confident about installation, matching a Brooks honey saddle... What do you think?

Thanks!