Old 06-16-09, 11:58 AM
phillypino215

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
If I had to pay someone to do this it would have cost a fair penny but I picked up the bike for $110.00 some years ago and proceeded to do all the work myself.

I just added some NOS XTR cantis which were a significant upgrade and I just sourced out a lighter Specialized fork to replace that boat anchor it came with.

I think that depending on the parts one used this would run someone $300.00 - $400.00 in parts if they kept the stock wheels and did the work themselves... my wheels are hand built with Mavic MA40 rims and the front wheel is stupidly nice Sansin 40 spoke tandem hub. I figure my wheels and tyres account for half of what my bike is worth and the old wheel set is fitted with cx tyres that I use for winter riding.

If you had someone do this for you then you would have to factor in the shop's rate and expect 3-4 hours labour if the mech knew what they were doing.

I love this bike as it does everything well and has been extremely comfortable over the many 1000's and 1000's of km I have ridden it.
sounds like it might just be cheaper for me to buy a new bike...