Old 06-17-09, 06:34 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is Bike Three in the last year.

Bike 1 was a Satin black 1998 M400 Cannondale with Trekking bars, Rack and fenders.
Bike 2 was a Mako Blue 58cm 1995 T700 Cannondale that was upgraded to a 9 Speed with 105 Derailleur, Octalink Shimano 26/36/48 Cranks with a Brooks Champion Flyer.
Bike 3 is a "Kiwi" green 63cm 1998 T700 Cannondale that got all the upgrade goodies off the 95.

Technically my legs need a 60cm. I can flat foot a 35 inch stand over. I'm a little bit of a short torso so I tend to like the 58cm top tube length. That said I was starting to feel that the 58cm was too small since I had so much tube out on the seat and stem extension. On the touring Cannondales they make big jumps in the sizing. from the 58cm it goes to the 63cm. This 63cm T700 showed up on CL last week so I sold the SR600 that I just wasn't riding much to get it (hope I don't regret parting with that bike). Little bit of playing around with the Stem and I am really liking the extra height.

Stock this was a 8 speed bar end shift canti bike. At one time it was upgraded to RSX STI's and then the PO decided to put a flat bar on it with thumb shifters (I have the RSX shifters). I converted it to 9speed STI with Tiagra brifters, 105 derailleur. Moved the SKS fenders over as well. Explorer rack was moved but I have a Super tourist on order from Nashbar as well as some natural Cork bar tape.

It is still spinning the stock Sun rims and even its original set of Conti Top Touring tires. What I just cant understand is this bike is faster the then 95 even though it has exactly the same drive-train. All I can come up with is the Pannaracer Crosstowns that I had on the 95 are slow. Unfortunately the Conti's are gum wall and I don't expect them to last long so I am trying to decide on a replacement. Looks like the Conti's are no longer made. Reading good things about the Vittoria Randonneur Pro RFX Road Tire. Like the reflective strip so that I don't have to run spoke reflectors.

I'm sort of torn. I was goign to run no rack for a while as I thought it looked real sharp but other then the seat tube there is no way to run my Super blink on the rear. I need some sort of bag and it is just WAY to hot for a back pack so the seat tube is blocked THe seat stays are to large of diameter for the small clamp that comes with the light. I'm thinking of ordering a set of 44cm bars and then buy the large Topeak Tourguide bag and run as a Randoneer style bike. Run the 95 with racks and the 8 speed STI's as a wet weather bike possibly but I am concerned it will just sit like the 600 did.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
T7005.jpg (68.6 KB, 80 views)
T7008.jpg (69.1 KB, 12631 views)
T7007.jpg (71.9 KB, 2905 views)

Last edited by Grim; 06-17-09 at 06:40 PM.