Old 06-19-09, 07:03 AM
viscount
Viscount

Bikes: Mercian, Viscount x2, Holdworth La Quelda, Gundle Trade Bike, Williams/Mercian Tourer, Itera,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Picchio Special
OK. We're good. Maybe recheck the posts where I said the post-war British builders are superior to the Italians generally. Not shy about saying that. Wouldn't trade my pre-war Hobbs Superbe, either.
The Italian, generally, are overrated - I've said that consistently. But the good ones are quite good, and deserve their reputation. OK? You may not be an officer (I'm not in a position to know), but you're definitely a gentleman.
Incidentally, Your challenge re: induction compelled me to revisit Karl Popper, which made my head spin. Let's stick to bikes.
Hey, I have to say in the cool light of day that we are on the same side in reality.
There is good, indifferent and bad in all spheres. Bicycles included.
I just think that good English bikes are second to none. (Especially Italian and Japanese, but not meaning to be controversial here, you understand)
Check my Bates. Better than Hobbs, probably
The post-war circumstances here and in Italy limited opportunities considerably.
Meanwhile enjoy your Hobbs. (Any pics online?)

Me never been an officer, but I like to think I'm the other.
Not a Viscount either, I just like Viscounts. Nobody is perfect

Re the cars, I've had Alfas, Lancias and Ferraris, as well as humble Fiats, and cool as they are, they are all xxxxing expensive to maintain in my experience.
(Won't even mention Italian females here just in case.... but I do have a soft spot thereabouts.)
Now I just enjoy my Holdsworths and Bates bicycles.
Still looking for a cool Italian bike though...
Bicycles are simple and satisfying things and long may they exist.

Sincere apologies to the OP! It just happened.