Thread: Tour de Blast
View Single Post
Old 06-19-09, 11:51 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FlowerBlossom
Even better, you can click on anywhere on the map and it will change location of forecast region and provide the forecast for that region.
As you do this, you can check for which forecasting station they are generating the weather from. The one I've found closest to the top of Mt. St. Helens is called "Spencer Meadow"; I think it's roughly at the same elevation as the viewing station at the top of the summit.

Likewise, I've been clicking around for weather forecasts for my ride in the North Cascades....best I've found is a station called "Washington Pass." Due to be 39 degrees and 30% chance of rain when I hit Washington Pass tomorrow.

The reason why I saw the TdB is easier to do unsupported is because you have access to water at the visitor centers all the way up....I don't think you ever have to ride more than 15 miles or so to the next facility where you can get water.

Food is a little scarcer at the top, though I think in the summer there is a food truck/concessionaire who sells food in the parking lot at the top.