View Single Post
Old 06-20-09, 07:58 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I think it will be a good thing for you to have a second bike. However, I don't think changing the bike will significantly improve your performance.

In the context of a group ride, you're already drafting so the aero advantages of something like an R3 won't make much of a difference. Unless your rides are really fast or seriously hilly, it's also unlikely that the 1-2 pound frame weight difference of the newer bikes will make a difference.

If you're doing solo centuries, you might want to try aero bars; that's just about the only mechanical change you can make to improve your performance. Otherwise, things like an aero frame or aero wheels or a minor weight change are likely to reduce your century time only by a few minutes.

Another thing to consider is that any improvements due to a mechanical change to the bike is essentially a "one-shot." I.e. if somehow you manage to get a 5% improvement from switching bikes, then you've just gotten to a slightly higher plateau and you're done. In comparison, by training properly you will hopefully gain continual improvements....