Old 06-21-09, 06:00 PM
cheval

Bikes: Look 555 & Cannondale CAAD 9 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kuan
What didn't you like about them? DA barend shifters, XT RD, XT hubs, Sugino 600 crankset. I thought those were pretty OK. The Alex rims could be a little better, yeah. Did you not look at the spec before you purchased it?
I did research on Surleys web site, in fact it was their web site that convinced me to buy. I purchased this as a back-up to my road bike as well as a way to ride the numerous crushed limestone trails. Seventeen miles into my maiden voyage I'm off the bike adjusting the barrel nut on the rear DR.[chain skating up and down the cassette]. Some weeks later I was riding the Brown County Hills Challenge, which as the name implies requires some down shifting. In my case it also required stopping to put the chain back on the chain ring. Braking power, or lack thereof, was beyond annoying to the point of being a bit scary. The wheels had to be trued twice[and they're rubbing again]. This was over the past 16 months, but with only approx 1000 miles. I know alot of savy riders are firmly entrenched in the Surley camp, I'm just saying if you're considering a purchase, look into buying the frame then outfit it with components that will hopefully give you the performance and reliability I didn't get with the standard issue parts.