View Single Post
Old 06-22-09, 11:38 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Luddite
Truth be told, I'm afraid of wiping out again. I actually fear going downhill fast now. It wasn't even a "bad" wipe out though I jammed my shoulder and messed up my wrist a little. I know it sounds neurotic..I hate admitting it. I feel if I can't touch toes on both feet while on the saddle, I'll wipe out again or something.

Being able to put a foot down in the saddle is not going to prevent a fall if you're riding 10mph or more.

You're actually better of keeping your limbs attached to the bike in a crash.

There's no way to adjust a conventional geometry bike to allow you to put both feet down, and stay seated, and have the seat height correct.

If you really can't get over this, the option is to buy an Electra Townie, or similarly designed bikes. They're designed to allow you to put your feet down seated, by moving the pedals forward in a slightly recombant setup. Not really intended for fast or long rides though.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.