Old 06-23-09, 07:47 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Barker
You have a JIS spindle, size 5SB. Sheldon probably has a chart that will tell you exactly what that means as far as length and asymmetry. Armed with that info you can calculate the spindle you need.

My SR Silstar crankset came with a 5SS spindle and that sucker was about 125mm IIRC.

Edit: Scratch the above? After re-reading and re-looking, I think I'm now following your issue. I can guarantee you that if that 5SB (JIS) does not work in your crank an ISO definitely will not. The only answer I have is that your crank hole has wallowed out due to improper tightening and is toast.
This crankset has never been mounted and I removed it from the package myself ,it came from a friend that had owned a bike shop for over 20 years and gave all of his stock to me.That spindle you see is just an example and is a JIS short taper,but short or long it doesn't matter they all fit the same way and are loose thats why it was so confusing to me I never had this problem with any crankset in the past and I don't know much about ISO sized square taper (since they are the only 2 listed ) shafts so if the BB I got won't work I can only say that this is a defective crankset. thanks
Glenn

Last edited by Glennfordx4; 06-23-09 at 07:50 AM.