View Single Post
Old 06-24-09, 05:17 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
I'm happy with my 100% stock 2009 LHT (with dual sided shimano spd/platform pedals--the best of both worlds). The saddle is not the best, but good enough for commuting. After 600 miles I haven't had any problems, even the stock tires are satisfactory. However, quidquam is correct...the bike is a tank (or, to match its name, more like a truck). After riding with brifters for years, the bar end shifters took awhile to get used to...they require some finesse to shift smoothly and are not as rapidfire as brifters. But considering the heavy-duty utilitarian nature of the bike, the bar end shifters are not really a disadvantage. Since its a tool not a jewel, I plan to ride my LHT stock as long as possible and only replace parts when absolutely necessary. Overall, the bike is really geared lower than I need, but the range of gear ratios extends beyond my needs in either direction, so its not a big deal. Someday the tiny granny ring might come in handy.

Honestly, I enjoy riding my lighter, sportier bikes much more. I bought my LHT to do all the other things my light/fast bikes can't do (haul loads, buy groceries, commute in the rain, slow-paced family rides, weekend touring, etc.). The LHT fills those roles perfectly, and gets more use than any of my other bikes, but there is nothing "sporty" about it. Even the drop bars are very different from typical drop bars....they are shaped for comfort and don't put you in a very aero position. Essentially, the LHT is my pickup truck, and my other bikes are monster trucks and F1 race cars.

Last edited by mihlbach; 06-24-09 at 05:32 AM.