View Single Post
Old 06-24-09, 12:52 PM
divtag

Bikes: '09 Salsa El Mariachi, '08 Surly Cross Check, '06 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, all three of the shops that I have been to don't have any on the floor. Out of the shops I have been to, I have decided on buying from The Path in Tustin. They were by far the best group of guys and friendliest shop I went in. They were the only one that even had a Surly frame in stock (a larger LHT).

I wish I could test ride, but even then I don't know if I would know the difference. I have always just ridden on whatever. lol However, as I get in better shape I am noticing the Rockhopper with front suspension, knobby tires, and aluminum frame are not the best for the type of riding I am doing. The only thing I test rode was a Randonee at REI. It was so different from any of the bikes I have ridden in my life (BMX and MTB) that I didn't know what was what. It is going to take some getting used to.

I think I do want to go with brifters, but I read they were a lot more expensive. The Path also has Salsa bikes. The guy helping me pointed out the Salsa Casseroll, but it was $500 more. That starts to get hard on the pocket. Would a Cross bike be fine with laptop, lunch, groceries? Would it be fine for doing a trip from Portland to SoCal?