Meepers
ECR

Bikes: Bianchi Pista/Fuji Nevada/Windsor Clockwork

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chaintug
I've developed a kink in my back and my messenger bag seems to be aggravating it. I've had a large Timbuk2 messenger bag for four years now, but I'm not blaming the brand. I'm blaming the uneven weight distribution inherent to all shoulder messenger bags.

So now I'm eyeing up a backpack. Anyone have an opinion on the R.E. Load v Seagull backpacks? I should probably stick with RELoad and hard rep Philly.

Cheers.
I went with R.E. Load, well because I love PA and I wanted to go with a PA company. I was torn between them and Seagull, but I went home grown (I am about 1.5-2 hours north of Philly. could be more depending on traffic on the Schuylkill). I love the bag, made great and i doubt it will ever wear out. but the strap is so thick and unruly, and the shoulder pad is weak. if i have a heavy load the pad feels like a pancake. I rocked my Timbuk2 in college without a shoulder pad for a while and never had a problem. But i am getting older (i can taste my 30's), so i am not sure if it is age mixed with abuse of one shoulder or just the bag. I think i am going to go back to my chrome for a bit, if i can wrestle away from my girlfriend.

Any way, my top three options for a backpack are the Chrome Warsaw, the Seagull large, or R.E. Load midpack. mostly the Warsaw because i like the pockets on the outside of the bag. and i have seen some chrome backpacks and the backs look a little more economical. So they will be a little more comfy over long periods and you will sweat less. but the Seagull seams pretty tight as well. and i like that you can add options to that. I like their U-Lock holster. super easy to mod yourself, but if you are spending over $200 on a bag, another $15 aint breaking the bank. that and if the waterproof liner is sewn all the way in, you will not be able to add it yourself with out ruining the liner. The sternum strap no eh R.E.Load seams a little thin. I know they put a lot of R &D into this bag, so i am sure it does it's job well. probably smaller so you swear less and less to rub on you body. But the Seagull just looks beefier.

ultimately for me it comes down to Seagull (I do not own any of their products yet) or Chrome. Price point is so close in all of them Starting at $230 (Seagull, pre-add on), $250 (R.E.Load pre-add on) or $280 (Chrome no custom add ons).

that's my $.02 on backpacks. I've been looking at them a lot the pat week and half.