Thread: MEC products.
View Single Post
Old 06-25-09, 07:21 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by johndavis
I'm an American thinking of using MEC panniers, sleeping bags, and clothing on my first tour.

I figure that the favorable exchange rate could allow me to get good quality equipment while spending less than I would on the equivalent American products. Am I mistaken? The MEC website was vague about the cost of shipping to America, saying something about tariffs and such. Would the cost of additional customs fees outweigh any savings I might make by buying from MEC?

Specifically, I'm looking at the Raven -7C sleeping bag, and the 43 L panniers. Has anybody used these products? How did you like them?
I also live a few blocks from MEC and shop there often.

To be brief here are some thoughts:

- I don't like how their panniers attach to the bike
- if you get the MEC waterproof panniers the cost isn't much less than Ortliebs so why bother?
- I like their sleeping bags and am on my second MEC down bag in about 20yrs or so of use
- MEC clothing is hit or miss in terms of fit and quality. I have some favourites from MEC I wear all the time and other items I either returned or gave away because they don't fit/work as well as I'd like.
- I would hesitate to buy clothing online if at all possible. I think hitting up an REI sale makes more sense if you live in the US.