Old 02-17-05, 12:17 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Senior Olympics?

As a little background since I'm new to this forum, I turn 62 this month. As a kid in the 50's I rode quite a lot and had several paper routes. Quit riding when I became motorized and returned to cycling only 9 years ago. Our company needed a 50+ geezer to race a bike in the Corporate Challenge. That was fun so I started participating in a some local time trials. Two years ago a friend pointed me to our state's Senior Olympics. Four cycling events are offered, 5K & 10K time trials, 20K & 40K road races. The first year I participated in the time trials, had so much fun that I returned last year and competed in all four events, and the wife took gold in the two time trials. The competetion is divided by gender and age graded into 5 year brackets beginning with age 50. The competition was fun but even better was meeting a group of really great people with common interests who enjoy exchanging ideas, helping each other improve, and talking about high performance equipment.
I'm qualified in 3 events for the Nationals but so far I'm really not quite fast enough to be competetive at the national level. In local time trials I have been able to improve my speed slightly each year since I returned to cycling 9 years ago.
So now I'm wondering how many of this elite group of 50+ forum members have participated in the Senior Olympics. How about it? It is definitely fun.

Al