View Single Post
Old 06-28-09, 07:12 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by afilado
"Not even close"? Please explain. And possibly more than what's readily available in the literature.

I'm not mounting a challenge to your statement but I am seriously interested in details of your experience. You seem to know well the Miyata 1000 vs other production touring bikes.

I think the Fuji Touring Series from the mid 80s is top tier, especially the Touring Series IV & V. Care to make a comparative statement about the Fujis?

Full disclosure: I own a quad butted Series V, and I can only imagine that Sheldon didn't know the full spectrum of touring bikes when he made his declaration regarding the "best". I don't see any shortcomings in the Fuji when compared to ANY other bike of its ilk, including the 1000, triple butted tubing notwithstanding.

I do challenge the standing idea that the 1000 stands head and shoulders above ALL others.

Looking forward to the schooling. ;-)

Cheers,

Julian

In general tubesets are made in 1 length with the length of the thinner middle section optimized for ~23" frames (could be 21") which happen to be the most popular size frames. If a small frame is built the butts are cut off, you end up with little short butted ends and mostly the thinner middle section for the length of the tube. The opposite holds true for larger frames, the butted section to thinner section ratio is off because as mentioned earlier the ration is optimized for middle sized frames.

Miyata designed and manufactured their own frame tubes. Each frame size received its own specific tube, a 50cm didnt didnt get a cut down 58 tube and a 60 didnt get 58 tubes with long butted ends. Miyata designed the butt lengths for each frame size and they cut the splines to a specific length for each frame size to optimize the ride ride quality and characteristics of each frame size. No other company did this. Different frame sizes get different geometry so it only makes sense that they get different tubes. Is Ishiwata 022 good tubing? Yes, but it was available in 1 specification optimized for 1 frame size.

A Splined Trible Butted tube for a 714 is different than a Splined Triple Butted tube for a 914 which is different than a Splined Triple Butted tube for a 1000.

Miyata also finished their bikes better than everyone else. They used a 7 stage process that included washing in zinc phosphate for rust prevention and 6 layers of primer and paint including a clear coat.

The quality of Miyatas lug work and brazing is better than most custom European builders!!!

Are Trek 520's and Expeditions good bikes? Sure they are, but the Miyata 1000 is like a Lexus, Mercedes and BMW all rolled into 1.

Jim