View Single Post
Old 06-30-09, 08:06 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You may want to look at taking a recovery week every 3rd or 4th week. During that week your body will recover and get stronger. Taking a day or two off during the regular week will allow the body to rest between workouts but will limit it's growth. Last year I stated to train for racing and thought I could coach myself since I was a college T&F athlete and coached HS Track & Field for a number of years. Long story short is that I overtrained and basically wrecked a whole lot of work during the off season. This year I've hired a coach and my riding has exceeded my expectations. A big difference, over last year, is the hard workouts are really hard and the easy workouts are much easier than I would have expected. The major change has been the "recovery weeks". During the recovery week, time on the bike does not change much, it's just very easy riding with some efforts such as a race or 1/2 of a group interval workout. At first I didn't like the idea of not working hard for a week but now savior the time. I can tell when I'm ready to hit the grind stone again where the slightest change of effort while riding sends the HR right up. Towards the end of a 3 week build cycle it sometimes takes extra effort getting warmed up enough up to just be able to get the HR up into Z3, my body is telling me it's going as hard as it can but the HR is just sitting at 128 to 135 bpm. That's not a comfortable feeling knowing that in 20 minutes I'll be asking my body to hit Z4 or Z5 for some intervals or hills.