View Single Post
Old 06-30-09, 01:23 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by stephaniep69
Hello, I'm new this forum, (or any forum for that matter).

I picked this bike up on Craigs List about a year ago. I realize that its probably not worth much, but I would like to get it in working condition. Its my first bike and I would like to learn how to do my own maintenance, but I'm not sure where to start. I know that I need new tubes and tires. Does anyone know much about this bike or where I can pick up some literature to get me started?
Nice bike. I like 3 speeds.

Do you have hand tools? You'll probably need some metric wrenches, to start. Tire irons make changing tubes and tires easier. You can get cheap plastic ones that will do the job for a couple of bucks.

Tubes and tires aren't so hard to change. The hard part is finding the right ones. Sheldon Brown's site is excellent; lots of good info there on tires. Look for a number on your current tires; most three speeds have 26"X1 3/8" tires, 590mm. The 590mm is also known as EA3, sometimes as 650A. Schwinn had a different size tire sold as 26"X1 3/8". Once you have the right number, it's a lot easier to find tires and tubes. Some discount stores carry that size, but mine didn't, so I ended up ordering on-line for Kenda K40 tires for my wife's bike and mine.

Sheldon Brown's webpages are very good for repair information. I found this site to be helpful for basic maintenance, too:
http://www.bikewebsite.com/repair-bike-index.htm

Also, just a little oil in your hub will do wonders for shifting. I use the blue can of 3 in 1 oil for electric motors; it's SAE 20. Don't use regular 3 in 1 oil--use regular auto motor oil instead.

Gary