View Single Post
Old 02-18-05, 08:15 AM
nick burns

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am not intimidated by traffic. I am, however, aware of the many violent acts that occur everyday by human beings. I am also aware these same perpetrators of violent acts may in fact drive automobiles. I have to respect that reality.
I have had two incidents with the same driver last year. Each time he intentionally attemped to hit me. Fortunately both times I saw it coming and successfully avoided it. I have also had stuff thrown at me. Cyclist friends have told me stories of similar events. A female cyclist friend was groped by an auto passenger leaning out of the window. There have been post after post in these forums of motorists harassing cyclists.
I do believe there is an element of the population who would not care the least if they hit a cyclist. There are people who don't care if they kill another person, cyclist or not. If you choose to ignore that fact, you do so at your own peril.
The poll is designed poorly. You cannot lump all operators of motor vehicles together. That assumes all humans behave identically once behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. That assumption invalidates any results you attempt to draw from the poll.

Last edited by nick burns; 02-18-05 at 09:48 AM.