Old 06-30-09, 04:43 PM
Big Steve
The Lo of CurtLo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
It looks to me as if the Preciray only has an indicator on one side of the rim. Given that, how do you properly dish without flipping the wheel around once (which you can do with a dial indicator)?
Hub width is indicated when the wheel is placed into the jig. A sliding ruler flips up to measure the rim width, and then slides back to a zero right position. 1/2 hub width - 1/2 rim width = right side of rim position. Set side-to-side indicator accordingly. Results in a perfectly dished wheel with no dishing tool or flip comparison required. Setting concentricity indicator is more of an art. With some practice, one pass yields the most true and round wheel imaginable. It's truly remarkable, but it seems that few shop monkeys bother to figure it out -- and that's why I am certain that there are Precirays out there collecting dust.

Originally Posted by jccaclimber
Looking at that thing, and seeing what price you're offering, you might be able to get a machine shop to clone one from the picture.
I machined my current jig (I machined all my framebuilding jigs and fixtures), and, if I don't find a Preciray, I might beef it up. But it would not be an easy project, and it won't perform like a Preciray because widely available dial indicators don't cut it compared to Preciray's proprietary indicators.