View Single Post
Old 07-01-09, 05:30 AM
Chop!

Bikes: GoBike, Long-john, Strida III, Oke Ja recumbent, Brompton, Moulton, BSA, Strida 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK Guys & Gals, here's an update :-

I picked my Becak up yesterday, in a trailer, it would have been suicide to try to ride it home with almost no brakes & along narrow but extremely busy roads with lots of heavy trucks. We would probably have died, either on the first hill or under the wheels of a fast moving truck!

The rims & spokes seem quite new and it has a freewheel (don't know if it had one originally)
There are no brakes on the front wheels and only very dodgy looking rubber blocks which are forced up under the rim by pushing the lever, in front of the seat, down. (see pics)
Think I'll fit drum or band brakes on the front wheels.

I rode it about 1/2 mile last night, when I had to ride down the hill (our road is un-made & a cul-de-sac) it was interesting, verging on terrifying!!!!!!
It gave one of our neighbours a good laugh as I passed him, looking a bit worried, betting each other whether it would stop before I plowed into the fence at the bottom of our road!

I asked the seller how he got the Becak back from Indonesia, the answer shocked & annoyed me, they bought it in a car boot sale! And knew, next to, nothing about it. Don't think they paid very much for it.
Why can't I find bargains like that?

So I advise you all to avoid the Essex/Suffolk border at lunchtime as I'm taking it out for a few miles , solo, before dragging my poor long-suffering GF out for an evening 'adventure'.

I enclose a pic of the 'number plate' anyone got any ideas where it's from?

In case this is my last post, it was nice knowing you all!!!!!!!

Safe riding! (well got to be safer than me! )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P6300544.jpg (46.7 KB, 9 views)
P7010556.jpg (71.1 KB, 8 views)
P7010557.jpg (80.4 KB, 8 views)
P7010559.jpg (62.5 KB, 7 views)
P7010558.jpg (57.9 KB, 11 views)
P7010560.jpg (44.5 KB, 5 views)
P6300549.jpg (70.6 KB, 35 views)
P6300547.jpg (66.7 KB, 20 views)
Site for the Rock& Roll Tour Bus that I drive.
Chop! The mad Welshman, lost in the urban jungle somewhere between LLanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Vladivostock!