View Single Post
Old 02-18-05, 02:10 PM
jimhens714

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm one of the ones that answered: I am NOT intimidated by traffic and I DO believe motorists want to avoid hitting me.

Having traffic not intimidate me does not imply that I trust all drivers intent or skill. I do have a healthy fear of the result of a 180 lb bike and rider meeting up with 3000 lb automobile (physics will prevail).

I believe most people do want to avoid hitting me but I don't think there is a consistent motivation for it. Some may truly care about my wellbeing. Others may only be interested in avoiding any sort of accident and the resulting insurance premium rate increase.

I've found that if I ride unpredictably (don't signal or clearly indicate my intent) then drivers will appear to do the same. If I do signal, use common sense, ride predictably, etc. then drivers also will do the same and my riding experience will be vastly improved.

Whether I ride predictably or not, ride VC or not, signal or not, take the lane or not, has no affect on the behavior of the occasional a**h*** behind the wheel. They will be a**h***s no matter what we do. To them...I just blow 'em a kiss.