Old 07-02-09, 03:28 PM
BND10706

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Century Ride, Beginner rider questions

So I just fell into road biking about 6 months ago and was lucky enough to come across a nice 2nd hand road bike for nearly free. Its a 1987 Miata 710. Its not a new bike, but it gets the job done and has been taking care of extremly well. In the 6 months I have owned it I have put about 300 miles on it.

I decided to enter my first Charity Century Ride (if you want to help me click here I need all the help I can get)

But that being said. I have added a few things to the bike since I have gotten it, namly clipless pedals a bike computer, and somone gave me a set of aero bars so I have those on the bike as well for now. And a few weeks ago I replaced my rear cassette.

Most of the components I am unsure how old they are, they are shimano and suntour parts. The ride is a few months away still and I plan to get it checked out before hand, but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on if I need to get any parts/ Accessories before this race? Any upgrades anyone recommends?

I know people do rides on much older bikes. But I might be able to persuade my wife to let me spend about $200 on anything that people have found helpful on their past rides that I as a first timer doing long distances might not know about or not think of.

Things I am conidering:
New saddle ( I have a stella itlla (sp?) on there now)
spare tires/tubes
new crankset? (not sure on this one, mine just looks old)
camelback

any other ideas are helpful

Thanks!