View Single Post
Old 07-05-09, 10:14 PM
hypermaniac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
locking strategies for college

well its almost school time again, and i was hoping some of you guys have some tips on locking strategies for college since i'm bringing my first real road bike to school.

Enviorment
Its going to be in front of my dorm, where there are many bike racks and bikes locked. i've seen regular x-mart bikes locked up with cable locks, and a fuji track locked up there all year. So its a good sign that not much bikes are stolen there.

i'm using sheldon brown's locking method, and a small china bought u-lock locking my front wheel. I will put a bicycle chain through my seat to my frame. also i'm thinking maybe super gluing ball bearings to the bolts.

Any thing else i should do? If it helps i'm going to U of illinois at urbana-champaign.

anther question i have is that i'm wondering for onguard locks, is it able to be sawed through with a hack saw? i understand that hardened steel is improbable like the faggetaboutit, but i believe mines isn't as it only cost 30 dollars.

o yea also buying locks on craigslist, ebay, or used, is it generally safe to buy from there? my worries are that they have the spare keys and somehow will get to my bike they sold to me hypothetically, and unlock it, or some other method. i'm probably just being paranoid lol.