geoGraphicFTD
double diamond tram girl

Bikes: surly cross-check, cannondale CAAD8 optimo 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
changing my cross-check yet again...

My Cross-Check has been through so many incarnations, first as single speed then fixed with risers, and now (since last summer) geared with Biomax bars, Deore rear derailleur, Suntour front derailleur, and bar end shifters. Since I moved a month ago I've been doing a lot of commuting on it and am wanting to put the risers (Salsa moto-ace) back on, probably with some Deore shifters. My other two bikes have drops and bullhorns, and I'm finding I want one bike around with a more upright position.

So... I'm just soliciting opinions about a few things:
-risers with Tektro brake levers and Deore or Deore LX shifters (apparently they don't make 9 speed MTB STIs for canti setups, which is fine with me as I have brake levers and just buying shifters is cheaper)
-putting my 42cm Biomax bars on my road bike (Cannondale CAAD 8). My road bike has 40cm FSA drops, which are fine, but I like the shorter reach and shallow drop of the Biomax. Is putting cyclocross bars on a road bike weird? Would I notice the difference between 40cm and 42cm bars?

Whatever I do I'll probably get stuck paying my lbs to install the parts, as I've never worked on shifters/derailleurs myself. :-/