Old 02-20-05, 02:24 PM
genericbikedude
如果你能讀了這個你講中文

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe if all non-car-owning cyclists banded together and formed a secret society...

We could be secret for a few years, have secret handshakes, use our collective connections to get benefits for ourselves (nice chairs at work, rings to operate the soda machine, 912...), gain political influence, etc.

THEN, once we have an awesome secret society, filled ONLY with cyclists who don't own cars, we leak information about our existence. Of course, everything is denied publicly. We hire wackos to write books about us that go way beyond the pale. Accuse us of satanism, mayan calendar mysticism, orgiastic worship of the 13-tooth cog, etc. This will disguise our true nature. People begin to find out about us. But it's still all rumors. People will ask our members, fake-jokingly, "so, I see you on your bike all the time. does that have anything to do with your __________?" (insert here: awesome lovelife, swift and courteous treatment by various bureaucracies, fabulous wealth, great deals you get on everything you buy)."

When they ask us this, we can look at them slyly, and say, "I don't know, I think that I just have good karma from getting rid of my car. Your should try it." Then WINK. If they *DO* get rid of their car, approach them at night while wearing balaclava, black helmet, black bike gear, riding a *silent* black fixed-gear. Make sure they're alone. Invite them into the secret society. Tell them that it does really exist. Make them swear secrecy. If they refuse, shout, or resist, your accomplice in the bushes will shoot them with a tranquilizer dart and then douse them with whiskey.

One by one, our membership will grow. More people will come to associate the car-free lifestyle with wealth, power, luck, and mojo. Global warming will abate, republicans wouldn't be elected, and wars in places like Iraq and Afganistan will end, and not be repeated. American obesity epidemics will be slashed. Cities will not have noise polution. Roadways will be smooth. Rather than having a ghettoized bike lane, we will have ghettoized car routes, with large central parking lots to serve entire neighborhoods. So much space will be freed from our roadways that tree cover will double in most cities.

Life will be good.