View Single Post
Old 02-20-05, 03:52 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Hey Dawg-if it helps you any, your and my HR's are very similar. My brother is a lot younger than me and has been riding a lot longer than I have and it's interesting that his HR trends and mine are almost identical. The groups we ride with can't understand how our HR's can be so much higher than their's but we've learned that it's just genetics and go on with it.

If you used the rule of thumb, 225 bpm minus age, my max should be in the low 170's. I easily hit the mid 190's when trying to elevate the rate to see what my max is. I still wear a HR monitor, especially for training, as I need to know how my workouts are going.

Welcome to the Mile High HR Club!
Funny you should mention Similar heart rates. I ride a Tandem, I am 58 and Pilot is 40. There is a vast difference on our heart rates on solos, and he just loses me on the uphills. My max for Age is 165 and I can get to 175 before getting off the bike and lying down. He can go 20 above me all the time, but at 195 (20 above me again) he hits the same bit of Grass or Mud that I am going to fall off on.
However on the Tandem, we run at a very similar heart rate, between one or two of each other. When I am at 150 then so is he. We try not to go above 160 in defferance to my age, but occasionally we do have to push to 165, and at that we are both getting tired. I cannot say that he is carrying me as same heart rate and same amount of tiredness. The difference is, For that odd hill where the effort does have to go in,(To save pushing the bike uphill) he can go up to the 190's, and drag me up to around 175 with him. I can assure you, we are both absolutely shatterred then and have to slow down for about 2 miles to recoup our energy.

Incidentally, we put an HRM on the fit 50 year old in our group.He is the one that will lose everyone including the 25 year olds on our rides. That was the day when the tandem riders went to 165 all the way up a steep long hill. We were shifting. He stayed with us all the way up, and admitted that at the top he was shattered. His breathing was very laboured, legs like jelly and body shattered-- He was done in. His Heart rate did not get above 152 as a max for the hill, and we thought it was a duff HRM. it was not his heart rate is lower than the rest of us, and this has been checked on several occasions. He just has a slow heart rate.

Edit

Baaddawg.

Thanks for enlightening me. I have had Migraines for as long as I can remember. After the bypass, I was on beta blockers but it affected my riding so I weaned off them in the following year. For the year or so I was on BB's, I did not have a Migraine. Given the choice now, I will keep the occasional migraine as I am enjoying my riding too much to go down a level again.

Last edited by stapfam; 02-20-05 at 03:57 PM.