Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MitchellH
Sure. Whatever. Feel better now?

You experts write of the Giro winner because he's 5 minutes down after 6 stages and you call me ignorant. Do some research and tell me that no one other than LA has won the tour after being down 5 minutes after stage 6 and then you might be on to something.
No, because I'm trying to teach you something about stage racing and you're either not listening or not able to process what I'm saying.

You are supposing two situations as comparable:

1) Lance Armstrong down 5:24 to Voeckler during the 2004 Tour de France. Yes, Lance came back to win that year (by one of his largest margins) but Voeckler was allowed to develop a 5 minute advantage because he was not a viable grand tour contender. Lance would never have allowed Ullrich, Basso or any other legitimate GC threat gain that much time.

2) Dennis Menchov down 4:36 to the Armstrong, Contador, Wiggins, Vande Velde, Schleck. These are all legitimate GC threats who can climb and time trial as well, if not better, than Menchov. They are top GC contenders who will not let Menchov close the over 4-minute gap.