View Single Post
Old 07-11-09, 05:05 PM
meanwhile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DramaMama
Thanks again to all who have responded. It probably seems like I am over-reacting, but it took nearly 2 full days for the swelling to go down in her face so that she could open her left eye again. 2 days of wearing an ice bag on your face is not much fun for anyone.

We spent over 4 hours at the local ER to get X-rays and medical evaluation. Luckily nothing was broken.

Accident happened last Monday, by Friday she was turning cartwheels in the front yard...kids bounce back quickly.

We can't put our kids in some sort of giant hamster-ball to roll around in and be protected from life's little hazards....I know that. Even so, I want to try to prevent this type of injury in the future.

I think some of you nailed it:

1) Helmet has to fit and be worn properly.
2) Helmet needs to meet safety certs
Every helmet meets some safety cert, but the only ones worth much are Snell B90 and B95. This level of certification is rare, because people readily rarely check cert levels (colour seems to be much more important) and making poor helmets is cheaper than making good ones. Specialized seem to be the main maker of helmets that meet this level of certification.