Old 07-12-09, 01:13 PM
elTwitcho
Live without dead time

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
The whole "fenders and rain gear" thing is just like someone calling you out for not riding mountain trails and saying "That's why they make big knobby tires and shock absorbers, girly man!" to justify themselves.
Not really, since not everyone has an interest in riding mountain trails. Since you already do ride your bike, it's more a case of folding like a deck of cards whenever things start to get mildly uncomfortable, difficult or dangerous.

It's not as though I go calling people out on this left right and center, but check the thread topic. Is this not a discussion on the relative merits of toughening up and riding when things are less than ideal vs simply taking the air conditioned, climate controlled plushly upholstered way out? Well there you go, and that's my thought on riding in the rain. I believe there are people who would rather live a life that was challenging, a bit dangerous and one with obstacles to overcome rather than a life where you exchange the promise of comfort and safety for the guarantee that you'll die of boredom. I believe that's why a lot of people chose to ride bikes in the first place, not because it's easy but because it is hard.

I only disagree with you because that's what this discussion is covering, I wouldn't call you out otherwise so I don't see what reason there is to take offense.

EDIT: Disclosure time: I occasionally take public transit if I'm resting my legs after a week of hard riding, and if I have to travel 100 miles I'm more likely to take some kind of motorized transport than ride it unless I'm just riding for the sake of riding. I simply think it's a worthwhile goal to try and do something more challenging than taking the easy way wherever it is possible. More often than not, I do manage to challenge myself.

Last edited by elTwitcho; 07-12-09 at 01:17 PM.